Intermediate Algebra Skills Practice Workbook With Answers
Intermediate Algebra Lecture 6.7: Using Factoring to Solve Word/Application Problems
Chris McMullen, Ph.D.
- Practice a variety of intermediate algebra skills.
- Bridge the gap between introductory algebra and precalculus.
An approach that works
- Each section begins with a concise explanation of the relevant concepts using clear language.
- Fully solved examples help to serve as a guide for how to solve the problems.
- The exercises at the end of each section help to build fluency. The paperback edition includes space for working out the solutions.
- The answer to every problem is included.
- When you get the right answer, this helps to build confidence.
- If you get an answer wrong, study your solution, rework the problem, or review the examples so that you can learn from your mistake.
- Many of the answers include one of the following: notes, checks , or full solutions.
Dr. Chris McMullen has over 20 years of experience teaching university physics in California, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, and Louisiana. Dr. McMullen is also an author of math and science books. Whether in the classroom or as a writer, Dr. McMullen loves sharing knowledge and the art of motivating and engaging students.
Chris McMullen earned his Ph.D. in phenomenological high-energy physics from Oklahoma State University in 2002. Originally from California, Dr. McMullen earned his Master’s degree from California State University, Northridge, where his thesis was in the field of electron spin resonance.
Dr. McMullen is well-known for:
Intermediate Algebra Chapter 1
Fractions Exponents,Order of OperationsInequality Variables Expressions, and EquationsReal Numbers and the Number Line Adding and Subtracting Real Numbers Multiplying and Dividing Real Numbers Properties of Real Numbers Simplifying Expressions
Graph the group of numbers -1, -3,1-41,1-11 on a number line.
6. To which of the following sets does& nbsp& nbsp belong: natural numbers whole numbers mtegers rational numbers irrational numbers real numbers?
-7 – / -5 –
13. 30 / -9-12
14. Find the solution of each equation from the set by guessing or by trial and error.-x + 3 = -3
15. Find the solution of each equation from the set by guessing or by trial and error.-3x = -12
16. Evaluate each expression given x = -2 and y = 4.
17. 5x + 7y / 3
18. The highest elevation in Argentina is Mt. Aconcagua, which is 6960 m above sea level. The lowest point in Argentina is the Valdes Peninsula, 40 m below sea level. Find the difference between the highest and lowest elevations.
19. For a certain system of rating relief pitchers, 3 points are awarded for a save, 3 points are awarded for a win, 2 points are subtracted for a loss, and 2 points are subtracted for a blown save. If Mariano Rivera of the New York Yankees has 4 saves, 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 blown save, how many points does he have?
20. + 8 = 8 +
Intermediate Algebra Questions With Answers Sample 1
Intermediate algebra questions on various topics , with answers, are presented. The answers are at the bottom of the page. Also included are the solutions with full explanations.
Write 230,000,000,000 in scientific notation.
Evaluate: 30 – 12÷3×2 =
Evaluate: |4 – 8| – |5 – 11| =
Evaluate: -18 + 42
Evaluate: 11 + sqrt
Simplify: 12×3 – 3 – 5x + 7
Write as a mathematical inequality:“9 is less than the product of M and N”.
Find the slope of the line perpendicular to the line y = x – 7
Write an equation of the line with slope -3 and y-intercept .
Solve the equation: -5x + 20 = 25
Solve the inequality: -3x + 4 < -8
Solve the equation: 2×2 – 32 = 0
Solve the equation: -0.25 x + 1.3 = -0.55 x – 0.2
Solve the equation: -0.25 x2 + 1.5 = -10.75
What is the slope of a line perpendicular to the line x = -3?
What is the slope of a line parallel to the line x = 5?
What is the slope of a line perpendicular to the line y = 6?
Also Check: Algebra 2 Textbook Mcgraw Hill
Chapter 79 Word Problems
The length of a rectangle is 3 cm longer than twice the width. If the area of the rectangle is 65 cm2, find its length and width.
Find three consecutive even integers such that the product of the first and the second is 68 more than the third integer.
A boat cruises upriver for 8 hours and returns to its starting point in 6 hours. If the speed of the river is 4 km/h, find the speed of this boat in still water.
The base of a right triangle is 8 m longer than its height. If the area of the triangle is 330 m2, what are its base and height measurements?
< a class=internal href=/intermediatealgebraberg/back-matter/midterm-3-prep-answer-key/> Midterm 3: Prep Questions Answer Key
Intermediate Algebra Problems With Answers
A set of intermediate algebra problems related to systems of equations, quadratic equations, …with answers, are presented. The solutions are at the bottom of the page.
Solve the following quadratic equation.0.01 x 2 – 0.1 x – 0.3 = 0
In a cafeteria, 3 coffees and 4 donuts cost $10.05. In the same cafeteria, 5 coffees and 7 donuts cost $17.15. How much do you have to pay for 4 coffees and 6 donuts?
Find the slope of the lines through the given points and state whether each line is vertical, horizontal or neither. Line L1 : and Line L2 : and Line L3 : and
Find four consecutive even integer numbers whose sum is 388.
Going for a long trip, Thomas drove for 2 hours and had lunch. After lunch he drove for 3 more hours at a speed that is 20 km/hour more than before lunch. The total trip was 460 km. a) What was his speed after lunch?
Compare the following expressions: a) 2 -4 , b) -4 , c) 4
Evaluate and convert to scientific notation.
We first multiply all terms of the first equation by the LCM of 2 and 3 which is 6.6 = 6 We then solve the following equivalent system of equations.-3x + 2y = 0 x = 8/5 and y = 12/5
= 10 11 x 10 -3 = 18.36 × 10 8 = 1.836 × 10 9
Solve the following system of equations- x / 2 + y / 3 = 0x + 6 y = 16
How many real solutions does each quadratic equation shown below have?a) x 2 + x = – 1/4b) x 2 – 7 x + 10 = 0c) x 2 – x + 1/9= 0
Does the data in the table below represents y as a function of x? Explain.
Don’t Miss: What Are The Five Subfields Of Geography
Intermediate Algebra Questions With Answers Sample 3
Intermediate algebra questions on some of the most important topics and skills in algebra, with answers, are presented. The solutions are at the bottom of the page. Also included are the solutions with full explanations.
Write 1.5 × 10-5 in standard form.
Evaluate: 30 – |-x + 6| for x = 10
Evaluate: 2xy3 + x – 2y for x = 2 and y = -2
What is the slope of the line perpendicular to the line y = – 4
Write an equation of the line with slope 2 and x-intercept .
Solve the equation: -3 + 20 = -10 + 4
Solve the inequality: 4 + 4 < 8
Solve the equation: 32 – 12 = 0
Solve the equation: x / 3 + 2 / 7 = x / 7 – 5
Line L is defined as line through the point and perpendicular to the line x + y = 0. What is the point of intersection of L and the line x + y = 0?
What is the point of intersection of the lines: x + 2y = 4 and -x – 3y = -7?
How many solutions do the system of equations 2x – 3y = 4 and 4x – 6y = -7 have?
For what value of A does the system of equation A x + 6y = 0 and 2x – 7y = 3 have no solutions?
Solve |2x – 4| – 2 = 6.
How many solutions does the equation 2×2 + 3x = 8 have?
Solve the equation 3×2 + 6x – 1 = 8.
Solve the system of equations: 2x + 5y = 18 and -3x – y = -1.
What is the range of function f defined by: f =
Factor the expression 2×2 + 3x + 1.
Factor the expression 10×2 + 20x – 80.
Chapter 13 Word Problems
Find two numbers such that 6 times the larger number plus 2 times the smaller is 38, and 4 times the larger minus twice the smaller is 12.
Karl is going to cut a 36 cm cable into 2 pieces. If the first piece is to be 5 times as long as the second piece, find the length of each piece.
Kyra gave her brother Mark a logic question to solve: if she has 14 coins in her pocket worth and if the coins are only dimes and quarters, how many of each kind of coin does she have?
Find two consecutive even integers such that their sum is 10 less than the first integer.
varies jointly with
Recommended Reading: What Is Self Preservation In Psychology