Understand The Pareto Principle
In this section, were going to go over 5 ways to understand/implement this concept.
First things first, the Pareto principle is very simple and extremely powerful. In the event youve never heard of it, it states that 20% of your time makes up 80% of your results.
20% of your time makes up 80% of your results.
Why is this such a valuable rule upon which to build our focus formula? Because if you can figure out which 20% of your time drives 80% of your results, you can focus on those aspects, thus allowing you to become the most productive version of yourself! Heres how to take advantage of the 80/20 rule throughout your day:
Tips To Zero In On Your Distraction/stimulation Balance For A Fully Occupied Attention Span
- Reflect on how you can focus using different sources such as books, YouTube, Audio lectures, Slideshows, forum-discussions, etc. Choose whats most convenient and appropriate for you.
- Reflect on how much background stimulation you need and make adjustments. Try different types of background sounds ranging from meditation music to metal. Music can help you if you find it difficult to concentrate.
- Try combining different types of content with various forms of stimulation in a particular situation that has unique distractions. Some combinations will increase concentration and some combinations will decrease it, find your sweet spot.
- Read slide-based notes or watch YouTube videos to reduce the burden detailed books put on your brain. Reading increasingly complex/detailed explanations for the same concept over and over again reduces the level of new details you add to your studying. The difference between the previous level and the new level reduces and makes focusing easier.
Tips To Increase The Motivation To Study
- Find something in your study material that you can relate to. Really try to see how your studies fit your world-view, your past, your partners life, movies you like, etc. You will find something.
- Find something within the material that will be relevant in the future. Think of active examples where you might need it. If you cant think, google it, learn about applications. Use that to commit to it.
- Find a way to attach positive emotional weight to your study material. You can do this by talking to an intrinsically motivated friend about the value of learning something. Even smiling or a specific location can bring those positive emotions.
- Make a quick list of the sources of intrinsic motivation, external rewards, and desirable outcomes. Then focus on a few of those which are compatible with each other.
There is no study material that is impossible to fall in love with, its your perspective, attitude, and desire that enables or disables it. The goal of these tips is to create a relationship between you and your study material.
You May Like: Is Paris Jackson Biologically Related To Michael Jackson
What Makes You Lose Concentration
Sometimes you maintain great concentration and sometimes you lack it. Why is that? Suppose you are studying and you receive a text message about what you would like to have for dinner tonight. At that moment you partially shift your attention to the text message. Meanwhile, another part remains with the original subject you were studying. Once you decide to continue studying again, basically exactly the same thing occurs. Namely, a twofold split between studying and your dinner plans for tonight occurs. According to neuropsychologist Mark Tichelaar, distractions are triggered by the switch in your attention.
If you immediately proceed from one task to another, a portion of your attention is retained with the previous task. As a result, you have reduced brain capacity for the new task Mark Tichelaar in the book Focus Aan/Uit
Therefore, the moment your concentration drops, it represents a shift in your attention. This may be due to the four different concentration leakages:
Ii Exercising In The Morning
Science is showing more and more evidence on the benefits of exercising in the morning before going to work. Not only does it increase brain activity, keeping you focused for up to 3 hours but it also:
- Wakes up your mind better than coffee!
- Harvard health suggests that even a short amount of cardiovascular exercise can wake you up, improve mental processing and boost levels of energy more than your cup of coffee.
Regular exercise releases endorphins and feel good hormones such as serotonin. Research has shown that depressed adults who exercise regularly can improve their symptoms of depression as well as Zoloft !
Read Also: What Does I Stand For In Physics
What Is Concentration In Learning
Concentration is the ability to purposefully sustain and guide ones attention to learn, comprehend, observe, monitor, and self-reflect in a given situation. Effective concentration suppresses distractions within our conscious and unconscious awareness. It is a part of our executive functioning. Concentrating involves narrow, razor-sharp focus as well as a broad, global focus. The goal of increasing concentration is to modify behavior, improve memory, and improve learning.
Adolescent And Child Development
Closely related to the school psychologist, is the child or adolescent development specialist. A psychology degree graduate who wants to choose a concentration that relates to a specific group or age range can specialize in adolescence or childhood. They become experts in how the brain and human behavior develops at certain stages of their lives. Psychology students who earned degrees in adolescent and child development look at learning, behavior and family dynamics. They may go on to become family therapists or eventually specialize in school psychology and work with students.
Also Check: What Is Folding In Geography
Law Of Attraction: Release Your Judgments And Your Pain
I have worked with several Coaching clients this year who recently lost their job. Like so many people in that situation, their fear over finances started to suck their energy, and drag them into a downward spiral. To add salt to the wound, they also beat themselves up over losing their job. They add extra
How People Differ In The Capacity To Concentrate
Individual differences in working memory capacity are typically measured with complex span tasks and are assumed to reflect differences in peoples ability to stay focused on what is relevant and resist distraction . The WMC concept is embedded in our view of concentration as an endogenous factor determining an individuals capacity for attentional engagement. In support of this view, high-WMC individuals are typically less distracted by unwanted sound , and WMC is related to both shield mechanisms: High-WMC individuals show a more substantial attenuation of background-environment processing when task difficulty is high , and they show a greater resistance to attention capture , possibly by means of active inhibition of task-irrelevant processing .
The relationship between individual differences in working memory capacity and the magnitude of the deviation effect .
Recommended Reading: What Are Lysosomes In Biology
Too Many Internal Stimuli
You are probably familiar with that moment you are studying for an exam in the library, but you get stuck in the material. Consequently, you develop an urge to scroll through your internet for a while. Or maybe you are suddenly reminded of that email you still have to send. These are forms of internal distractions that distract you from being concentrated. Many projects at the same time cause an overload of information and diminish your concentration.
HINT: Bundle your projects according to the task youre doing. Thus start working on all the reading and writing tasks of course A in the morning and course B after lunch. Plus, do not get scared off by a too big to-do list, but instead create a top three of the most important tasks. If something comes to mind, simply write this down and continue with your current task.
Honoring Balance With Self
I recently started reading, The Pathwork of Self-Transformation by Eva Pierrakos. From what Ive gleaned so far, the Pathwork process is about finding the unresolved conflicts within you that create turmoil, problems, tensions in your life. It reminded me of the concept of Polarity Management, the ability to manage conflicting desires, needs, yearnings. The elusive
Read Also: How To Find Range In Physics
Concentrations In The Psychology Major
As a Psychology student, you will select a concentration prior to the start of your third year. Choosing one of our two designed concentrations, or designing your own Flex Path concentration, allows you to tailor your degree to your exact future aspirations. We strongly recommend supplementing your concentration with one of our many minors at the college.
Our Exciting Hands-on Concentrations:
What Is Concentration Definition
- Concentration is the ability to direct ones attention in accordance with ones will.
- It means control of the attention.
- It is the ability to focus the mind on one subject, object or thought without being distracted.
- This is the ability to focus the attention, and at the same time, ignore other unrelated thoughts.
- It also means the ability to do one thing at a time, instead of jumping from one subject to another, and losing attention, time, and energy.
- Concentration is a state, in which ones whole attention is engrossed in one thing only, and being oblivious to everything else.
- The word concentration means focusing ones thoughts and attention on one thing or thought.
Concentration means longer attention span, better control of your mind and thoughts, and to focus on one thing at a time.
Concentration definition according to oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com:The ability to direct all your effort and attention on one thing, without thinking of other things.
Concentration definition according to according Macmillan Dictionary:The process of giving all your attention to something.
During concentration, the mind focuses on the object of concentration, and only one thought occupies the mind. The whole energy of the mind becomes concentrated on this one thought.
The ability to command the mind and control the attention is not common, and requires training to sharpen this skill.
You can develop the ability to control your attention, by practicing concentration exercises.
Also Check: How Many Biological Brothers Did Jesus Have
How Do I Know Which Courses To Select For A Given Concentration
All concentrations include at least one introductory course at the 2nd year level . Then, a variety of options are given to fulfill the remaining credits at the 3rd or 4th year levels.
Please click on the links provided below to view the courses that you can select within a given concentration:
How do I add a concentration?
You can add a concentration by going to Carleton Central and selecting changing program elements. To add a concentration, you must change your major to Psychology with a concentration in . Please note, when making adjustment to your program elements, we strongly encourage you to meet with your academic advisor.
When should I add my concentration?
Ideally, you should start your concentration in the second year of your program.
The earlier you start, the more likely you will be to finish the 3.5 credits required for its completion. You should also be aware that your registration into a concentration does not allow you in any way to sidestep the regular conditions for enrollment into a given course.
For instance, some courses have a major CGPA requirement , some courses have limited enrollment , and some courses require you to secure a supervisor before you can enroll .
Finally, note that many courses including the Community Practicum, the Independent Study, the Honours Project, and the Honours thesis may be used in fulfillment of all six concentrations.
I still have questions. What should I do?
I We Like Random Rewards
According to classic psychological studies, were motivated more by random rewards than fixed rewards . This is one of the reasons emails keep us hooked, every once in awhile well get a stimulating email among all the urgent requests or bothersome emails and these random rewards is what makes it so addicting.
This image does a great job of summarizing research on how email can control the pleasure centres of our brain!
How can we fix this?
Schedule a couple daily meetings with your inbox. By doing this, you will stop the addictive feedback loop. It is suggested that you should be checking your email only 3 times per day! Make sure you set aside a block of time and logout when your time is up. Setting a limit on checking your email will lower daily stress and predicts a greater well being. When is the best time of day to check your email? Remember when you figured out your most effective time slot? Use the lower energy times of day to tackle your email, that way you arent wasting your most productive times.
Want to organize your email more efficiently? Use an email client such as as a de-cluttering method.
Also Check: Springboard Mathematics Geometry Unit 3 Similarity And Trigonometry
Popular College Concentration Areas
Not all majors offer concentrations. However, some majors draw students based on the extra focus areas.
And they not only attract students, but also prepare them for work in different fields related to their major.
Below are the most popular study areas for concentration college students.
Top Subjects in Business
- AccountingBusiness majors can earn a focus area in accounting by taking a few extra courses. On the contrary, accounting majors can focus on subjects like:
- forensic accounting
Top Subjects in Computer Science
- Artificial Intelligence
- biomedical engineering
- health sciences
You learn how biology affects human health. You also learn how it relates to health care. You take courses like:
Top Subjects in Psychology
Ii We Rely Heavily On Nonverbal Communication
We rely heavily on nonverbal communication reading facial cues, posture, body language, eye contact etc. . Since communicating online lacks this type of social feedback, things can get complicated and stressful.
This results from what psychologist Daniel Goleman refers to as negativity bias. Goleman suggests that if the sender feels positive about an email, the receiver usually feels neutral and if the sender feels neutral about the email then the receiver feels negative. Meaning, every message you send, automatically gets downgraded a few positivity points by the time someone else receives it. This can lead us to feeling anxious about what we send or upset with what we receive.
How can we fix this?
Upgrade your empathy and enthusiasm when writing. In other words, take a step back and envision yourself as the receiver, will they take it as a positive or negative tone? Use positive words and subjective language. Emails that encourage people or state a point of view tend to be most effective. When reading emails, keep this negativity bias in mind and try to see it for what it is.
Recommended Reading: What Is The Study Of Psychology
How To Study And Use Study Guides
How to Study and Use Study Guides Copyright Carter McNamara, Authenticity Consulting, LLC Sections of This Topic Include How to Improve Study Skills How to Use Study Guides Also consider Adult Learning Concentrating Continuous Learning Creative Thinking Critical Thinking Learning in Courses Defining Learning Group Learning Key Terms in Learning Improving Your Learning Improving Your
What Medication Affects Your Concentration
Multiple medications can affect your concentration. The packaging of these medications is labelled with an orange or yellow sticker that warns against these side effects.
The most important medicines that fall under this category are: medication for ADD, sleep-inducing medication, sedatives and medication against psychological disorders, painkillers, muscle relaxants, medication against allergies and a number of cough medicines.
A complete overview can be found on the website rijveiligmetmedicijnen.nl .
Read Also: What Are Friendly Numbers In Math
Why It’s Harder To Pay Attention When Adolescence Begins
9. Fight boredom. Make your targets of attention more engaging by creating competition or making them into some sort of game. Enliven dull work by thinking of it in novel ways. Find ways to change the pace of your attention. Don’t let it become a drill.
10. Make emotion work for you. Develop a passion for what you experience, as that will rivet your attention. Both negative and positive emotions work. The kiss of death for learning is to be bored and detached from what you are trying to learn. Ask any school teacher how big a problem that is for so many students.
11. Practice attentiveness. Acquiring good concentration ability isn’t much different from developing a good golf swing. You have to practice. Psychologist Ellen Langer suggests staring at your finger, for example. Attentiveness is cultivated from the more you notice: the dirt, distribution of hair, pattern of skin folds, shape of the knuckles, and features of the nail . Do similar exercises with any object you encounter. You will find that daily life experiences become more engaging. You will get more out of life.